Saturday, June 5, 2010

memorial...





He is Gone
You can shed tears that he is gone
or you can smile because he has lived.


You can close your eyes and pray that he'll come back
or you can open your eyes and see all he's left.


Your heart can be empty because you can't see him
or you can be full of the love you shared.


You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.


You can remember him and only that he's gone
or you can cherish his memory and let it live on.


You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
or you can do what he'd want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.


By David Harkins

I found this poem, but adapted it to be about him. We were in Wyoming over memorial day so we decorated dad's grave before we left. It was kind of hard but I feel peace knowing he's in a better place and looking down on all of us. Not a day goes by I don't smell coffee and think of him. Or hear a truck that sounds like his did that doesn't make me stop to wave but suddenly remember it's not him. Every time I hear Eli say anything about papa I remember the love and special bond they shared if only for a short time. Every time I drive by his work I find myself looking to see if his truck is there, silly! I admire him for the wonderful father he was and the great example he left to all of us (his children). I'm thankful that I know we'll be together again and I know he is happy and not in pain there. I love and miss him so much though. My knowledge doesn't make it easy just more bearable.

1 comment:

Holfeltz Family said...

This is very touching. It made my nose sting and eyes water.